Sunday, August 1, 2010

Deceptively Delicious Mistake

My best girlfriend just got engaged last week and asked me to be her maid of honor. She was the MOH at my wedding last year. Our friendship goes way back, back to the days when I got my first professional job at a mortgage company (pre- mortgage crises mind you), back when I was thinner and had no problems with my arms or legs (oh the glory days) and when we didn't know any better. We were both 19 years old and we commiserated over awful dating experiences and that set in motion a friendship that has lasted 6+ years and going strong. She eventually left the company to go off to college and I stayed there for the next few years. Fast forward a few more years later and we both found ourselves out of jobs due to the economic downturn. Last spring she got a job at the current company she is at and then a got me on board. That's what friends are for, right!?

Anyways, back to the topic at hand; her engagement! Devon is so special to me not only because we share some awesome memories of hanging out in her college town every weekend one summer, or the memories of her helping me get through a very difficult relationship, but she is a friend who I share a common love with: Christ. When we first met we were not christians in any sense of the word but God used our circumstances to work together and become friends and then eventually we both found Him. And it is through Him that our friendship is strengthened. We have each seen the other in totally different places than we are now and it is through His love and strength that we are here today. Devon has been an encouragement, an inspiration and confidant in moving forward as a woman of God. I've seen where she was when I first met her to where she is now and I thank God that He took her to this place. I am so happy for her and her fiance Miles (who I absolutely adore- what a great couple!).

But I digress again; I am planning the bridal shower and bachelorette parties and thinking of cute little things to include and gifts to buy. While out shopping with my Mom this weekend I found this very cute cook book at Big Lots for only $3. I'm no one to pass up on a great deal like that AND I'm planning on throwing Devon a kitchen/recipe bridal shower so I thought this would be a cute thing to give to the bride. But once I took a closer look at the book after I purchased it, I realized it is a cook book for enticing your children to eat their fruits and veggies without them even knowing about it by adding purees to the recipes. Well that won't come in handy for at least a few years for them when they start having kids. I guess I will have to find another, more appropriate cook book for my friend. Doh!

After thinking about it a little more, this cook book will be perfect for my household seeing as my husband and I already have a slightly altered diet anyways. My hubby can't have white rice, white bread, any sugar, etc.. so adding more fruit and veggie type recipes to my repertoire will help liven up our usuals and of course get me ready for when we have little ones! Thanks Devon for the new cook book ;) and congratulations!!

No comments:

Post a Comment