Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Dinner Improv

I didn't know being a newly married couple was going to make life so much busier! I used to be able to come home, leisurely make a nice meal & then enjoy it. Now it feels like I am running through the door only to continue to rush around to get me and my husband fed before it is time to go to bed and start it all over again in the morning!

In these often rushed moments, I have not been able to make the fancy meals I used to. I have begun to make 'experimental' dinners that surprisingly turn out great!

Just last week I was trying to figure out what to make with the ingredients we already had in the house. Flipping through the recipe books I stopped on scalloped potatoes. Only problem is we only had a few red potatoes left. We did, however, have a bunch of sweet potatoes. As you might have guessed, I used both red potatoes and sweet potatoes and added heavy whipping cream instead of the milk that it called for. A substitution here, switch there, and it turned into one of our favorite dishes!

Through the years I have learned the basics and now feel comfortable adding ingredients or omitting them if it sounds better to do so. Be brave and try it yourself. You may end up with a family favorite like we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment