Friday, April 9, 2010

Build Your House on the Rock

As a child of God, I think it is so important to know, study and defend His faith. It is vitally important to know, study and defend His word.

God is like a solid rock that we can build our lives upon. When we stand upon the Word of God, in our weakness we are made strong. In this day and age and even back in biblical times there are those who believe in a religious system or belief that simply isn't biblical. Below is an e-mail that I want to share of a conversation I had with someone regarding true biblical Christianity and how it is our duty as a follower of Christ to stand up for and defend His truths.



Hi Tanner,

It's nice to hear from you! I trust you had a wonderful Good Friday and Easter weekend!

I read the books that you asked me to in the BoM. I see what you were trying to get me to understand; to believe and not seek after proof. A verse itself in Alma 32 says to not have a 'stubbornness of heart' and to 'believe without being brought to know the word'. But I have some problems with these verses. Namely, in the bible it says numerous times that God wants us to find His word and seek it and read it and discover more about it. If we don't seek it out and learn more about what exactly His law and precepts are then how can we believe it? Blind faith seems silly to me because you won't even know what you believe in, right? I mean, if you don't know it, how can you say you actually believe in it?

"As soon as it was night, the brothers sent Paul and Silas away to Berea. On arriving there, they went to the Jewish synagogue. Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true." Acts 17:10-11

The verses in the BoM are in stark contrast to what the bible teaches.

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:2

The reason why I am wary of the books you told me to read is because I know that all the scriptures are God-breathed, meaning, He sent these messages to men who would write them down for us and our instruction. If that is the case, then these verses that I just shared with you are saying that we are to dig deep into His word. If it is His word and His truth then it will stand up to my observation and examination. I don't doubt His word, but I want to be able to know His word in order to know Him.

John 1:1 says, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men." This verse tells me that God IS the word. So why wouldn't I want to learn more about Him and believe in Him because I know Him?

I had asked before about whether or not Jesus was God. You said no. But I know from reading my bible that God says numerous times in His word that Jesus IS. Take a look at John 1:14. It reads, "The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth." Now if John 1:1 said that the word WAS God and then later in that chapter says that the Word (i.e. God) became flesh (i.e. Jesus) doesn't that give a pretty good idea that Jesus is God?

In old testament times you'll see that if anyone looked upon the face of God they would die. We are awful sinners and in the presence of all-mighty God, we would literally die. In the book of Phillipians, you'll see that they describe Jesus being in the form of God becoming a man to dwell with us and teach us His ways. If He manifested Himself in any other way, we would die, but Christ was veiled in human flesh in order for Him to be with with us, or Emmanuel which means 'God with us' (Matthew 1:23).

Like we talked about before, following God and His will is the of the utmost importance to me. I seek His truth in everything I do and because of that I stand up for His truths over any other doctrine or religious system that goes against it.

"And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things." Romans 1:23. I see the LDS church as turning what is pure and true into something different entirely. There is doctrine in the bible that is contradicted within the churches teachings and even within the BoM itself. Take Alma 41:8 for example.. " Now, the decrees of God are unalterable; therefore, the way is prepared that whosoever will may walk therein and be saved." This verse clearly states that God and His word is unalterable, meaning it doesn't change, but within the church it has.

There are numerous accounts of the church changing their position on certain issues like polygamy, blacks in the priesthood and more recently with homosexuality. Correct me if I'm wrong but, according to mormon doctrine it is said that people who are black are that way because of their demeanor in the pre-existence. They did not follow Satan obviously or else they would have been one of the 1/3 that became his demons, but they were not entirely on board with Jesus' plan. And also it is said that the mark of Cain also was given to these people. Before the church included black people in the priesthood, some church leaders say that because of their rebellion they were not worthy to be able to hold the priesthood. If this is what the church and it's leaders (who are said to be inspired of God) said then why would that change? If they were said be to unworthy then why were they all of a sudden worthy?

I know that the church has an position that homosexuals cannot engage in homosexuality but can still be members but in recent months news came out that the church took an official position on new legislation in Utah. The legislation is for anti-discriminatory measures for gay people. http://www.onenewsnow.com/Culture/Default.aspx?id=764460 "The LDS issued a statement backing the ordinance, saying they were against discrimination against anyone, but that they supported traditional marriage. Church spokesman Michael Otterson said, "The church supports these ordinances because they are fair and reasonable and do not do violence to the institution of marriage." That is absurd to me. If God destroyed a city because of their wickedness and perversions due to homosexuality then why would His church take a stand for legislation that would give them special rights? Homosexuality is called an abomination in the bible. Why would He all of a sudden decide that it was fine to be that way and on top of that, that they would get special rights? God IS unchanging and His word is true yesterday, today and forever and that is why I believe in biblical Christianity and nothing else.

"The Lord says: These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is made up only of rules taught by men." Isaiah 29:13

I appreciate all your time the other night speaking with me. You were very kind to me and actually took my questions unlike some people I tried to have an open dialog with. May God bless you and give you His truth!

God Bless,
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment