Friday, April 16, 2010

The Lord is my Shepherd

In recent days I have been reflecting on just how awesome God really is. How could He be so kind and merciful and loving to a wretch like me? Or any of us? These two verses stood out to me. Read them and tell me you don't get an overwhelming love and adoration for the One who loves us and shows such great mercy to us.

"We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the LORD has laid on Him the iniquity of us all." -Psalm 53:6

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." -Romans 5:8


While reading the bible, you see this elaborate love story unfolding. All throughout the old testament, it speaks of a coming Savior and deliverer for the Lord's people. And of course in the new testament you see that it was Jesus Christ the prophets of old talked about. It is a beautiful picture of the Lord Jesus and His life and sacrifice He made for us.



From the beginning, God in His infinite wisdom had a plan to rescue us, even before we fell and needed a Savior. In His infinite love for us, He emptied Himself and became human, "he humbled himself and became obedient to death— even death on a cross!"

To think that the Lord of the universe came to earth, was born to be with us and to teach us. He saw us and still loves us even though we are awful ugly sinners. What an amazing love!

I love the old hymn "How Deep the Father's love for us";

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection
Why should I gain from His reward
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." -Isaiah 55:8-9

All along, God had/has a plan. I can imagine the people in Noah's day thinking he was a schmuck for building the ark and collecting the animals. And I bet the people in Jericho had a huge laugh seeing Joshua and the Children of Israel walking around their city. God's ways are not our ways and we will not always understand why He does things the way He does, but with Him as my Shepherd I will trust Him where He guides me. I will trust in His plan laid out before the creation of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment