Saturday, May 29, 2010

Journey

Proverbs 4:18-27

"The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, shining ever brighter till the full light of day. But the way of the wicked is like deep darkness; they do not know what makes them stumble.
My son, pay attention to what I say; listen closely to my words. Do not let them out of your sight, keep them within your heart; for they are life to those who find them and health to a man's whole body. Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life. Put away perversity from your mouth; keep corrupt talk far from your lips. Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze directly before you. Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm. Do not swerve to the right or the left; keep your foot from evil."


God is taking me on a journey. These last few months have been trying and God is working in me to turn me into the person He wants me to be.

When I first recognized the testing in my life, I became very impatient and wanted God to deliver me from it RIGHT THEN. What I failed to realize until now is that God works outside of time and is therefore not limited to our time table, when we think something should happen. I was doing some reading last night and was reminded that often times in scripture, God had His children wait on Him not just a few hours or days, but often times many years. The first story I thought about was when Jacob had to wait 7 years to marry His beloved Leah. Or the 40 year journey it took for the children of Israel to finally make it into the Promised Land.

"We must learn to move according to the timetable of the Timeless One, and be at peace." -Elisabeth Elliot

Ultimately I think the journey God is taking me on is one of trust. I think God wants me to trust in Him through everything, which is not as easy as it sounds. God is calling me to act. He wants me to do His work, to use what is in my hands, my life, for His glory. God is calling me to love. There is some bitterness and hatred in my heart that needs to be dealt with.

I am so thankful that God is so patient with me. I feel like a big screw up most of the time, but knowing He has provided the way for me and provided me with His strength, I am confident I will make it with Him and Him alone!

I'm sure we are all well aware of the story of the foot prints in the sand, and boy is it so true. The times when we only see one set of footprints, during the times when it was so hard and we felt so alone, Christ was there carrying us. We can trust in Him and His word. We can trust in Him and His comfort. We can trust Christ to be with us during the most trying times in our life, because He promised it."I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." -Philippians 4:13 As the proverb above says, "Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze directly before you." Set your eyes on Christ and He will be with you!

1 comment:

  1. SOO true!! There really is no guarantee that He will deliver us from anything while on Earth. The only absolute guarantee is that He will deliver us FROM the Earth and we will be with Him one day.

    ReplyDelete