Thursday, May 20, 2010

Sewing 101

I have mentioned before that I am no Martha Stewart. I can't whip up fancy meals with the ease that she does, I can't plant container gardens with as much success as she does, I can't dye beads for craft projects as good or mess free as she does, and I certainly can't sew baby booties as well or cute as she does.

Well, I have an even more embarrassing confession to make. When I first got my sewing machine I was instructed by a friend on the basics. My friend, who is self taught and been sewing (gorgeous things of course) for years, taught me so surely I would end up being as good as her, right?! When I put my machine to use after that, I couldn't understand why all my projects were turning out like this.

I just couldn't get it, sewing couldn't possibly be this hard, right!? I about gave up and moved on to other crafts while my sewing machine sat dormant. I read this blog and was inspired to try one more time to figure out what the problem was. Turns out, I missed a very important step. That very important step is where you slide the thread through the tension slit on the bobbin. I was just pulling the thread straight through the hole and not through the very tiny side slit, therefore giving the thread no tension.

Boy am I glad for the internet and it's limitless ways of helping me solve problems, answer questions and give me delicious recipes and craft ideas from other bloggers. After that small incident, I turn to the professionals now: How to Thread a Bobbin. Which also reminds me of the episode from one of the funniest shows in existence where Lucy attempts to make her first sewing project- a homemade dress. Oh Lucy, I can totally relate! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment