Thursday, September 22, 2011

Nearness to God

"Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above." - Come Thou Fount


I once heard a story about a couple. One day the husband came home from work, ate his dinner and got into bed without once talking to his wife. The wife was sad that he hadn't said one word to her, not a 'how was your day' when he got home, no 'thank you' for dinner and not even a 'goodnight' at bed time. She turned to him and asked "Honey, why aren't you talking to me?" and he said "We already talked this morning, I thought that was enough". This story is just that, a story, but I'm sad to say it happens all too often in our relationship with God.


When I think of that illustration, I think of my own relationship with my husband. I love when I finally enter the door after a long day of work to see my man in the living room waiting for me with a smile on his face, as I am always eager for a hug. Throughout the day I jot down notes about things that happen or topics that I think of to discuss with him that evening. I'm only 25 but I know if I don't write them down I will totally forget once I get home. I wouldn't dream of not talking with hubby before bed. He listens, he advises, he encourages and he just loves. I know how important that daily time with him is and keeping the communication strong. That is how it should be with God.
"For your Maker is your husband, the Lord of hosts is his name; and the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer, the God of the whole earth He is called." -Isaiah 54:5

"I will betroth you to Me in faithfulness. And you shall know the Lord." -Hosea 2:20
In the book of Hosea, the prophet marries the harlot, Gomer. The relationship between Hosea and Gomer parallels the relationship between God and Israel. Even though Gomer runs away from Hosea and sleeps with another man, he loves her anyway and forgives her. Likewise, even though the people of Israel worshipped other 'gods', God continued to love them and did not abandon his covenant with them. "The LORD is long suffering, and of great mercy, forgiving iniquity and transgression" -Numbers 14:18 We don't realize God's persistent love for us, even in our rebellion and/or distance from Him.

God is the one we should be eager to talk to, eager to tell about your fears, problems and desires. He is the one to be praised and thanked for every blessing in our lives. Along with my list of topics to talk to Jeremy about each night, I will remember throughout the day to 'talk' to the One who will always hold on to my heart and fill Him in on those things too!

No comments:

Post a Comment